Eye Laser Surgery is now less invasive than ever before.
Usually conducted on a Thursday, patients spend approximately two hours at the Centre on surgery day in total, and many are able to drive the next day and even return to work if they wish to. Many patients choose to take off the following day and return to work after the weekend dependent on surgery procedure.
All of the below information will also be provided to you by the hospital staff and in more detail.
Before your procedure
- There is no need to fast on the day of your surgery.
- Please ensure all make-up and false eyelashes are removed and no perfume or aftershave is worn.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing and appropriate footwear, do not wear thongs/flip flops, high heels or slip on shoes.
- Please consider the comfort of others and ensure your mobile phone is switched to “silent” mode prior to being admitted for surgery.
- Please ensure you have organised a driver for the day of your surgery.
The procedure itself takes less than one minute per eye. During the procedure most patients experience minimal discomfort and no pain due to anaesthetic drops placed in your eyes beforehand. At your discretion we also supply, and recommend, taking a mild relaxant beforehand to calm any nerves you may be experiencing.
After your procedure
After your surgery you will be seated in our recovery lounge which provides a quiet space to rest until you feel like going home. After a brief post surgery chat with our medical staff we recommend going home to rest for a few hours. The relaxant that you have taken just before your surgery will help you sleep.
The more you are able to sleep to let your eyes rest and recover, the better you will feel the day after surgery and the quicker your recovery.