RLE, or Refractive Lens Exchange, is a safe and effective procedure for improving vision that can correct many refractive errors. It may be an option if you are unsuitable for laser vision correction and experiencing the age-related condition called presbyopia (the loss of the accommodative ability of the eye).
What is RLE?
RLE, or also known as lens replacement surgery, is commonly suited to those over 50. This popular procedure is often considered as an excellent alternative for those people who are not suitable for laser vision correction.
This includes people that may have the following:
- An eye prescription that is outside the safe range of treatment for laser vision correction
- Thin or irregular corneas
- Other eye conditions
- Are over the age of 50 years and wanting to correct both distance and near vision
Benefits of Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)
A safe, proven and commonly performed day procedure with high success outcomes, RLE has many of the same lifestyle benefits as laser vision correction plus others!
- Visual freedom – reduced dependency on glasses
- Ability to correct an extensive range of prescriptions including astigmatism
- Permanent vision correction – a once-off investment in your vision
- Cataracts cannot develop on an artificial lens so RLE removes any future need for cataract surgery
- Multifocal lens option available – meaning can see both near and into the distance clearly
- Fast visual recovery – similar to laser vision correction
- It is performed as day surgery – no overnight hospital stay
What to expect when having Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)
Refractive lens exchange is an elective procedure aimed at removing or reducing the requirement for spectacles or contact lenses.
It’s performed as a day procedure under anesthetic and involves replacing the eye’s natural lens with an artificial lens to correct the vision.
Each eye is treated on different days which allows time for initial healing to take place and a review with your doctor.
Admission, treatment and initial recovery generally takes about two hours and patients are provided with easy to follow aftercare instructions at home.
Recovery after Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)
Visual recovery after RLE is rapid and most patients can expect to return to tasks such as driving in 2-3 days. RLE offers a short and manageable recovery allowing patients to return to their day-to-day activities quickly.
Post operative instructions are provided and ensure a quick and safe healing process. Patients are advised to avoid some activities including contact sports, gardening and swimming for the first 72 hours after their treatment. These directions can vary from patient to patient and will be detailed by your doctor.
Recovery after RLE also involves follow up appointments, and this schedule will be advised by your doctor.
All of this information is provided with easy to follow aftercare instructions.
Adelaide Eye & Laser Centre has a number of leading specialist ophthalmologists with extensive experience and expertise in RLE. In consultation with them, you will be guided through your individually tailored options, and how to best achieve your unique visual goals.
Find out more
If you are interested in finding out more about RLE, and if this procedure could help you achieve your visual goals, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our friendly customer service team as the first step.